25 000 USD
about Kalk AP
• it´s built on the CAKE Kalk platform.
• it uses identical 18 inch rims with 3.5 inch tires for traction and float.
• Drivetrain and suspension provided with extra sealing.
• Suspension modified for low maintenance, using progressive rear shock and front fork with spring and no air.
• all plastic parts has been changed to Trifilon’s biocomposites.
• CAKE connect, connectivity software for service, maintenance, navigation and tracking using mobile holder device.
• Drivetrain software modified for extreme torque and moderate top speeds, to suit need and demand while preventing overheating.
• Additional riding mode provides higher top speeds for roads or whenever needed.
• Detachable headlight.
This is a partnership between the Southern African Wildlife College, CAKE Electric Motorcycles, and solar power solution leader, Goal Zero. Together we have joined forces and efforts to protect endangered species from poaching.
Poaching has devastating consequences for all wildlife, all over the world. In some instances, it is the primary reason why many species face the risk of extinction. Contrary to general perception, one of the strongest reasons for poaching is due to poverty and the need for food among local inhabitants. Areas with widespread poaching are often large, remote, and lacking roads, making patrolling by car virtually impossible.
Using motorbikes is an essential part of anti-poaching in Africa. Today these bikes run on inaccessible gasoline and their noise warns poachers miles away: Unsustainable and inefficient. By utilizing CAKEs electric off-road motorcycles, the goal is to increase efficiency in catching poachers by quietly being able to approach them.
To further increase the overall obligation toward sustainability and environmental responsibility, the specially tuned bush bikes will be charged by solar power. With every motorcycle, a solar panel and power station kit from Goal Zero will enable these bikes to operate in the African bush independent from the electric power grid on an ongoing, self-sufficient mission to protect wildlife.
“It is somewhat unreal how the sun and solar power, together with the technology of these silent off-road motorbikes can serve as something of a perpetual machine that works toward the general obligation of sustainability and, in this specific instance, to serve the purpose of saving species from extinction,” remarked CAKE’s founder and CEO, Stefan Ytterborn.
The Southern African Wildlife College is situated just 10 km west of the Kruger National Park in South Africa. It is the perfect campus setting to provide working examples for students to learn conservation theory and best practices in and out of the classroom. As part of it’s ‘learning by doing’ curriculum, the SAWC establishes a cycle of innovation and development. The curriculum and various training programs are continuously evolving, allowing the SAWC to address current conservation training needs while shaping the future conservation landscape.
As a center of specialization in conservation education, training, and skills development, the SAWC’s approach is rooted in science, partnerships, and applied learning. The SAWC’s Applied Learning Unit supports the SAWC’s efforts by facilitating monitoring, evaluation, research, and application in all departments, enabling the SAWC to maintain focus on real issues faced by students and practitioners in their work. For these reasons, the SAWC keeps up to date with relevant new techniques and has, for example, recently pioneered and seen great success with the use of free-running pack hounds in the battle against rhinoceros poaching in the Greater Kruger National Park.
all the specs
battery & ride mode
1) explore: The ultimate mode during exploration. It has a limited top speed to 45 km/h (28mph) with a 3-4 hrs battery range.
2) excite: Enduro or active trail riding. 1-2 h riding time. With a top speed of 70km/h and good acceleration, this mode is perfect for enduro riding out in the woods.
3) excel: Maximal torque and speed, with no restrictions when it comes to performance. This mode is perfect when you need all power available. Riding time up to 1 h.
* The actual range depends on a number of different aspects, e.g. riding style, rider weight, weather conditions, temperature, road surface and tire pressure.
Type: External charger from standard 110 V/220 V outlets
0-80%: 2 hours
0-100%: 3 hours
Cells: premium 18650 lithium cells
Voltage (nominal): 51.8 V
Capacity: 50 Ah / 2.6 kWh
Features: Removable, can be charged when installed in bike or separately
Built in SoC indicator
drivetrain & brakes
Type: Direct drive, chain
Electric motor: Interior permanent magnet motor
Power: 11 kW (15hp)
Torque (motor axle): 42 Nm
Torque (wheel): 280 Nm
Front sprocket: 12 teeth
Rear sprocket: 80 teeth
Chain/Belt: 420 chain with O-ring
Type: Formula motorcycle disc brakes, four pistons callipers, alloy levers. Hand lever for front- and rear brake.
Disc: Stainless steel, 220 mm diameter, 3.2 mm thickness
1) Freewheel: No motor brakes. Gives the same sensation as riding a bike, perfect for mellow riding and the ultimate freedom experience.
2) 2-stroke motor brake with energy regeneration. Moderate engine brake. As you release the throttle you feel the bike slowing down at a slow pace.
3) 4-stroke motor brake with energy regeneration. When releasing the throttle, the bike will slow down significantly. This brake mode is best suited for technical tracks where full control for the bike is needed.
suspension, wheels & tires
Upside down MX spring forks with rebound adjustment, specially engineered for kalk AP.
Type: Direct mounted shock for simplicity and robustness.
wheels and tires
Forged and CNC aluminium CAKE hubs with 25mm axle
Front & Rear, 3,50-18" Continental TKC80 off-road tires
the body & more
Build: 6061 aluminium - extruded, forged and CNC machined
fenders and bodywork
Recycled fibre-reinforced plastic from Trifilon in fenders and covers.
Material: Aerospace grade 7050 aluminum
Interface: 31.8 mm
Width: 800 mm
Rise: 20 mm
Features: Dashboard integrated in stem with battery SoC indicator, ride- and brake mode selection, warning indicator
Wheel base: 1310 mm
Seat height: 910 mm
Ground clearance: 300 mm
Fork angle: 25°
Trail: 87.4 mm
Offset: 22 mm in triple clamps, 36 mm in forks
License requirement: None
*Note that all details are subject to changes.